Fund for Education Abroad was founded in 2008. In 2009, a board was established to provide advice on the needs of students in education abroad and how best offer them more opportunities. FEA received its 501(c)3 determination in March of 2010.
The board and staff are proud to have awarded twelve FEA scholarships for the 2012-2013 academic year.
FEA is committed to increasing the opportunities for dedicated American students to participate in high-quality, rigorous education abroad programs by reducing financial restrictions through the provision of grants and scholarships.
Goals and Objectives
- To assist committed students in the acquisition of critical foreign language skills.
- To cultivate American students’ world awareness and appreciation of cultural differences through academic and experiential opportunities.
- To support institutions and organizations active in socially responsible education abroad programs.
- To recognize outstanding education abroad leaders.
- To support students in programs known for its academic rigor and immersion elements
- To support students studying the language of the host country (if not English)
- To support students in programs with a sustainable service-learning or volunteering component
- To support students in programs in non-traditional destinations
- To support students that demonstrate financial need
- To support students who represent a group that is traditionally underrepresented in education abroad
FEA Board Members
- Jane Edwards, Associate Dean for International Affairs, Yale College
- Martin Hogan, Director of Program Development Danish Institute for Study Abroad
- Martha Johnson, Director, University of Minnesota
- Mark Lenhart, Director, CET Academic Programs
- Anthony Ogden, Ph.D., Director of Education Abroad, University of Kentucky
- David Parry, Chairman, Academic Travel Abroad
- Judy Perl, Owner, Judy Perl & Assoc.
- James Perna, Attorney at Law
- Kate Simpson, President, Academic Travel Abroad
- Linda Steckley, Senior Major Gifts Officer, The Chautauqua Foundation
- Jennifer Tidwell, Marketing Director, CET Academic Programs